Sunday, November 9, 2008

Entry Fourteen - Jacowitz (2)

Sorry the further parts of this story were not posted until now. Usually when it comes to time and space the TARDIS is a bit impenetrable to the Doctor’s landing in the wrong time issues, but for some reason that was very technical and very long when the Doctor tried to explain it to me, we just jumped forward a little bit over a week and my blog stayed in the same place. So… well, sorry. Oh! And I got a new myspace via some spectacular jiggery pokery if I do say so myself. It's:


www.myspace.com/timeandspaceandrose


Anyway, on with the story.


The TARDIS did not turn back on. The Doctor continued flipping switches and stuff until it became painfully obvious that, for the time being, there wasn’t anything he could do to fix it. It was a bit like when we landed on that parallel world with Mickey and everything died. He didn’t seem quite as depressed or defeatist though. Mostly, I am sure, because he knew where we were, and it was Jacowitz, which has all kind of technology he would probably be able to adapt to help with the ship.


Plus, I was fairly sure, so I was positive that the Doctor had deducted, that the TARDIS’s malfunction had something to do with the telepathic inhibitor that he’d talked about earlier. And to be honest that freaked me out a lot more than anything else. Because if the TARDIS was going out then that probably meant that there wasn’t much time until the whole thing went pear shaped and I was the only person left on this planet not in immense pain.


“Okay,” the Doctor said clapping his hands together and then running one of them over the console in a bit of a consolatory gesture. I could tell he wasn’t pleased about her going out, but he was thinking the same things that I was thinking. “So,” he continued after his brief, TARDIS stroking, interlude, “this sort of technology would take enormous amounts of power, and so far as I can tell it’s got to be short range, meaning, either a) here on the planet or b) on some sort of ship or mobile space station. So!” at this point he was pointing both fingers in the air and looking a little manic. So, not all that different from usual.


“We need to find whatever it is and stop it before all my people are incapacitated,” Ariella finished looking very determined. Which wasn’t really all that surprising. Ariella, despite being the youngest ruler of her planet, she’s a very good Queen.


“Right, yes! Which means I’ve got to make a modulal interflux detector!” he said and then, without any further ado, grabbed a torch and disappeared into the bowels of the TARDIS without another word.


Ariella and I looked after him for a moment before turning back to each other. “Hi!” I said, sort of a bit more cheerful that I probably should’ve and she sort of sighed before smiling back. I sighed too. “I’m sorry that every time we see you, Ari, it seems to be because something horrible is happening to your planet.”


It seemed like Jacowitz got far more that it’s fair share of trouble under Ari’s reign, but really it wasn’t that way at all. Jacowitz, for one, is a peaceful planet, and does not have the defence systems of other planets, save for it’s psychic layer which covers the planet and keeps out unwanted guests, though hostile invaders always seem to think that to be a minor obstacle. But also, the Nyklus live for millions of years, and Ariella became Queen after only sixteen of them, so her reign is a particularly long one. In millions of years the planet is bound to come across a lot of trouble.


She smiled, warmly in that Ariella way of hers, “I, of course, would not be adverse to a visit in a time of peace, I just…” she trailed off sighing a bit, “I use the psychic paper only when necessary. I do not wish to be a burden.”


I laughed then, not quite realising that she was serious, “Ari,” I said, confused after a moment, “you couldn’t ever be a burden, don’t you know that? I loved it when you travelled with us, I love coming to help when you’re in trouble. And so does the Doctor, you know he does, really. Right? He lives on this stuff!” She smiled, but looked down, and I sat on the jumpseat in the darkened console room and patted the seat next to me. Ariella sat down too. “He goes looking for trouble, Ariella, you remember…” I laughed, “remember that time on Boroxan when he practically talked that strange looking fellow into banning us from the movie house? They had the best popcorn in the universe too; I swear it was sort of caramel and… something else.”



(photo of Ariella and I from awhile ago)


“Toffee!” the Doctor said re-emerging from the corridor with a bunch of stuff in his hands, “And sort of a butter rum… fantastic stuff that is, we’ll have to go back sometime.”


“We can’t!” I pointed out, “You told that strange looking man that he was a rubbish projectionist because the colour was off my point eight something or other.”


“Well, it was!”


Ariella broke into a smile and shook her head, “You could only leave it to you two to be bickering over a cinema when someone is playing with a telepathic inhibitor over my planet.”


I felt a little guilty about that. Even the Doctor managed to look sheepish, “Well, if you could just hold that, Ariella, and Rose, this,” he handed out little bits of machinery for us to hold and began constructing something that looked like a small television set with detachable aerial and some very strange looking controls. He worked silently, and with is tongue practically touching his nose, for about ten minutes and then grinned like the maniac that he is and proclaimed it “Done-a-roo!” before promising never to say that again. Then, with one more swift TARDIS stroke and (I swear) a mumbled promise to be back soon we popped outside the Doctor tuned his little telly, aimed it at the sky and about point five seconds later all three of us were thrown backwards landing at the base of the TARDIS and a massive, and I mean massive ship became visible above the shimmering psychic layer. It was all chrome and polished and quite unlike most real spaceships and more like something that they would have come up with in fifties cinema.


“What-” Ari began but then as we watched, to her shock, and everyone’s horror, the ship opened up and a smaller, more compact, pod emerged from it, paused for a moment over the psychic layer before both Ariella and the Doctor grabbed their heads in pain again and the pod made it’s way easily through the layer and into the Jacowitzan atmosphere.


By the time Ariella and the Doctor had recovered sufficiently, the pod was landing about fifty metres away. A moment later the doors opened and out stepped some very colourful, and very frightening figures.

No comments: